September 24, 2018

The Future of Solar O&M in India - Avi Solar

AVI SOLAR
  • Avi Solar Energy Private Limited was established in 2010. The company is headquartered in Bangalore, Karnataka.
  • Initially, it started with consultancy and EPC work but over time it evolved into a solar O&M service provider. The company has its in-house EagleSun SCADA product to monitor, control and forecast solar generation.
  • As of July 2018, the company was handling solar projects with a combined capacity of 623 MW (both ground-mounted and rooftop), spread across eight states and 35 sites.

PROJECT PORTFOLIO AND TRENDS
  • Out of the total capacity of 623 MW that the company manages, 93 percent are ground-mounted and the rest 7 percent are rooftop solar projects.
  • Over 600 MW of the projects were developed by third-party EPC players while the rest were developed in-house.
  • By the end of financial year 2018-19, the company s planning to increase the O&M portfolio to over 1,000MW.

The company plans to manage over 1,000 MW of capacity in 2018-19. The target for 2019-20 and 2020-21 is 2,000 MW and 2,500 MW respectively. This can be achieved with a year-on-year growth rate of 25 percent from 2018-19 to 2020-21.

Avi Solar's Portfolio target upto 2020-21

STATE-WISE BREAK-UP OF THE TOTAL CAPACITY

Avi Solar’s state-wise capacity spread (as of July 2018)

COSTS

  • According to company officials, the cost of O&M services of a 50 MW plant, excluding the cost on security of the plant, is Rs 200,000 per MW annually.
  •  To reduce costs the company is now hiring manpower from local areas. This has managed the problem of high attrition rates and has led to a boost in local employment.
  • In addition, the company plans to reduce costs through installation of string level monitoring.

DIGITALIZATION AND AUTOMATION PRACTICES

Avi Solar uses the following digitalization tools:

  • Energy Forecasting
  • EagleSun SCADA including string level /block level monitoring
  • Analysis and remote monitoring
  • Ticketing system with Mean Time to Detect (MTTD)
  • String combiner box and string monitoring unit

KEY CHALLENGES
  • Incomplete EPC work when the O&M responsibility begins is the biggest pain point.
  • Non-availability of continuous flow of water for module cleaning
  • Inadequate basic facility for the O&M team at the sites
  • Sourcing experienced team for the remote sites

CONTACT DETAILS

Name: Sunil Antony

Designation: Director and COO

Email: sunil@avisolar.com

Phone no.: +91 8023598018

Address: Avi Solar Energy Private Limited

No. 146, 11th C Cross, 2nd Stage,

West of Chord Road, Bangalore - 560086

AUTHOR
Sunil Antony
Director-O&M
TAGS